Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Two loves of my life

This is my first day of blogging and I really have been thinking hard all day what I would write about. I wanted it to be something important, something that is near and dear to my heart and something that I have a lot to say about. For most of today, I wanted to write about teaching, how much I love this profession that I spend so many hours of my day doing, how much I look forward to walking into the classroom to try something new, to spark my students' interests and to see their faces-these young adolescents who teach ME so much without even knowing it.

And now as I was looking at this white screen, I decided to instead write about both loves of my life-my teaching and my own children, my life. One of the hardest things for me in my life was to find a 'middle ground', to be a good teacher, formerly spending the majority of my time on working on creative plans for the students, looking for interesting resources and usually spending late hours at school. How could I continue to do this with a baby? Now I wanted to be with my child, spend time with him, hold him and play with him as soon as I was able to get him when school got out. I remember many evenings, holding and snuggling with my little boy as I saw my grading piling up from across the room. I was torn between giving it 100% for my students but cherishing every second with my precious family.

I had to learn that grading can, has to wait and that my wonderful students would understand not getting the tests back right the next day but maybe the day after. I had to learn that I will never get the time back once it passes and it is okay to embrace these precious, valuable moments. Twelve years of teaching and three children have taught me that I can do this-finding a 'middle ground', and do it well. So now I take the time to drop everything and be with them until they go to bed, even if it is late. I can do this because I know that there is also a time after my kids are in bed and because I know I can be giving it 100% for my own children as well as my students at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted about this, Silke! I've always marveled at those of you who have kids and wonder how you can possibly do it. I thought I couldn't imagine it, but you have helped me to see how you adjusted. Your sentences about how much you loved your baby & wanted to be with him really helped me feel the way you did, and then it's easy to see how you make it work!

    Welcome to blogging -- you're going to love it!!!

    ReplyDelete